Welcome



Welcome to Zett's O scale 3 rail EJ&E layout page. This page will be updated with layout construction techniques, photographs, product reviews, and history of Joliet and the Elgin Joliet & Eastern Railway.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Layout Construction - Track Planning

If you have ever put together a layout that is more extensive than just using a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood, then it is probably easy to understand why everyone is so impressed when they see it. It is obviously because there is so few of us out there who want to put in the insane amount of hours to put something like this together. With that said, the light at the end of the tunnel is at least visible at this point. I have decided to take some advice of a friend on the OGR forums (Ray Marion) and get at least one loop wired up so I can run some trains, before I go insane.

Shown below is the beginnings of my power station setup. I have put this off for as long as I can, now it is time to get to work. You can see my new TIU and AIU for DCS mounted and ready to go. I still need to mount two surge protector circuit boards and two MTH terminal blocks. My ZW and Legacy base will most likely be mounted on a shelf underneath this board.


I finished almost all of the elevated line from the Union Station all the way to the west bank of the DesPlaines river. This was a nightmare trying to finish this by myself and trying to keep it as level as possible.


The most difficult section to complete was the area where the center access door is. I made this section using 2 X 4s and two door hinges. Its swings open with one wheel touching the floor on the latch side. The hinged side is cut at a 90 degree angle. You can see below the latch side is cut at an angle.


Behind the Union Station just past the diamonds is an O-72 and an O-80 curve. The UP switch tower will stand just behind the top left diamond.


Here is another view looking north. The downgrade begins half way through these curves. The old EJ&E passenger station will stand just inside the curves on the upper right hand section.


Here is a view from the corner chair facing south. Once more buildings are constructed, it should break up the drastic curves that are being used. I had to trim 1.5" off of the station platform to fit these curves in, otherwise the O-80 loop was too close to the wall. It is still cutting it very close, but I cannot trim the station platform any further.


Final shot for todays update, looking at the Union Station from the north. I constructed two parking lot configurations for the station, one of which can be seen here. I will elaborate on this when I post the next Union Station update.


I should have some action on the rails by the end of May, hopefully within a week.

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone on here my name is Fumo Sadiku living in Malindi City Kenyan I want to tell a little more about a good hearten man called Benjamin Breil Lee working with Le_meridian funding service as loan officer, Mr Benjamin Breil Lee helped me get a loan of 37,115,225.00 Shillings on my trying time trying to get back on my feet to raise my business I know there are some of you here who are in financial difficulties to talk to Mr Benjamin on what's app 1-989-394-3740 Or email his company E-Mail lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com also with his personal E-mail on lfdsloans@outlook.com I'm so glad for what he did for me and for his Bank accountant as well Accountant Hernandez Lucas Thank you very much for your work well done.

    ReplyDelete