Welcome



Welcome to Zett's O scale 3 rail EJ&E layout page. This page will be updated with layout construction techniques, photographs, product reviews, and history of Joliet and the Elgin Joliet & Eastern Railway.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Union Station Project - Part 2

After a half dozen trips to Union Station, and many hours of calculating and sharpening pencils, I have completed the templates for the upper level of the structure. I started by making rough, semi-scale drawings on graph paper. The rough sketches made it easy to fill in measurements I was missing.



I did not realize how many measurements I needed until I began to complete the rough sketches. I found myself wanting to estimate on areas that were either hard to get to, or areas that just did not seem to be important enough to get exactly right. In the end I decided against this and ended up taking measurements for everything,from window trim, to the width and height of every block on the building. Luckily for me, the block pattern in the first two rows repeats itself up the entire height of the building, which makes it easy to calculate the heights of the upper decorative moldings. After I completed the rough sketches, I made scale drawings of each face of the building.



The next step will be to transfer these drawings onto the 1/4" MDF that I will use to make the exterior walls and cut out the window and door locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment